• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

what makes you love Apple

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

lauraprice10

I'm a final design student writing my dissertation and i want to know what makes people love Apple so much? is it something to do with the brand, the community (if so how do you feel part of the community) or is it simply the products

any anwers will be appreciated:)

Code Monkey

I don't love Apple. Why would any sane human actually love a corporation whose only interest is in getting you to part with as much as your money as possible for as little effort as possible? Humans, even animals, are worthy of love, corporations are worthy of nothing but an exchange of cash for goods when they've made something worth having.

miniMAMF

I agree with Code Monekey. They made some pretty good products, but the corporation itself is not worthy of "love." One can appreciate that they make products easy-to-use, with slick design asthetic, simple GUI's, and few techical difficulties. I can also appreciate the philosphy of having technology for the sake of creative or productive reasons - not for its own sake.

That being said, I haven't actually used a Mac since about 2001, and I was not impressed at the time (it was an iMac). My iPod rocks, though.

Razor70

To be honest, I used to be a diehard Microsoft man until just about a year and a half ago. I got my first ipod then, saw how easy to use it was and decided to switch from a Windows PC to a Mac. I still use Windows mostly, but I do enjoy my Mac too. Later this year I plan on getting a better Mac system and will be switching totally over to it then. Ease of use, understanding of new technology, and friendly & helpful associates is why I love Apple.

dimmer

Lounge Lizard
Good industrial design and aesthetics - thats about it. Their products don't work any better than their rivals, and the rabid Mac fanboy community is a huge turn off.

JMG

asdf
Love for something that just wants your money isn't love. It's stupid.

bdb

On the B side of life
I don't love Apple either, but there's an interesting dynamic with Apple that hardly any other companies have. Product announcements have the aura of a pop concert - wild cheering crowds that will provide a standing ovation for nearly anything. Where else do you see that?

Apple takes more interest in design and simplicity than its rivals. The simplicity was originally of great interest to those who found DOS/Windows too complex; this gave them some fans, but not like they have today. The big-time "love" really came with the recent focus on music & video, stylish designs, and emotional advertising. Apple is appealing to more personal, deep-rooted emotions than their competitors.

Once Apple became "hip", a lot of the marketing was done for them by the fans (including a large percentage of "tech" writers), giving them a huge overall marketing advantage and making the "love" grow.

Its an enviable marketing position to be in. They can get away with things that other companies never could. Products are almost never pre-announced; Apple keeps everything a huge secret and waits until the day they're in stores to announce products. This eliminates the waning interest normally occurs after "coming soon" announcements, and eliminates any reduction in demand or discounts for soon-to-be-obsolete product. Of course it sucks if you're one of the ones who bought a product that was obsolete a month later, but everyone loves Apple so who cares about those losers? ;)

miniMAMF

lauraprice10 said:
I'm a final design student writing my dissertation
Just a piece of advice, here. Be careful with your choice of the word "love." For an academic dissertation, it's probably a bit vauge, as its meaning is extremely subjective. I think you have two choices: either choose a different word to encapsulate how you perceive the emotional reaction of Apple consumers, or better yet, use "love" but define what you mean by that in your paper.

For example, you could easily define "love" in this context as Apple product consumers that are loyal to the company, want to spend all their time with the products, and take great measure to protect their "lovers." Much like human love, you can draw the metaphor out and then feel free to use the word "love" throughout your paper.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Great guys, it's unanimous then, We don't love Apple, we like some of their products anyways, but love is too strong. Apple is first and foremost a business, don't never forget that. I guess we guys are just more realistic (boring? :))

S2_Mac

Well, I'll break ranks; p'bly fair to say that I love Apple. I've been buying Apple hardware since 1980, and Apple's innovation and integration are what makes computers bearable for me ;-) (I go back to the days when you loaded your OS by hand from a cassette tape; back when 8K RAM was A Big Deal.)

Apple's engineering has always been first rate, affecting far more than the finished product. F'r'instance, the first Macs broke new ground in plastic injection molding, by creating a new advanced die process to deal with the roller cradles in Mac mice. All those chips Woz would cook up....

For an old fart like me, Apple's earned a place in my heart by producing great hardware in support of "insanely great" ideas for half my life; outside of cow's milk, it's hard to think of any other product line that's performed as well (and lasted as long) as my Apple stuff (good heavens, I'm still running a Quadra 605 ;-)

#1 reason I love Apple -- thanks to the Steves, I never had to live with DOS!

S2

JMG

asdf
S2_Mac said:
Well, I'll break ranks; p'bly fair to say that I love Apple. I've been buying Apple hardware since 1980, and Apple's innovation and integration are what makes computers bearable for me ;-) (I go back to the days when you loaded your OS by hand from a cassette tape; back when 8K RAM was A Big Deal.)

Apple's engineering has always been first rate, affecting far more than the finished product. F'r'instance, the first Macs broke new ground in plastic injection molding, by creating a new advanced die process to deal with the roller cradles in Mac mice. All those chips Woz would cook up....

For an old fart like me, Apple's earned a place in my heart by producing great hardware in support of "insanely great" ideas for half my life; outside of cow's milk, it's hard to think of any other product line that's performed as well (and lasted as long) as my Apple stuff (good heavens, I'm still running a Quadra 605 ;-)

#1 reason I love Apple -- thanks to the Steves, I never had to live with DOS!

S2
hahah I cut my teeth on DOS. My early experiences with the Macintosh were less than desirable, but that's because I was used to a command line rather than a GUI. I remember when my 8mhz computer was cutting edge fast with 640k ram, a mouse was optional, and norton commander was the most graphic GUI I was using at the time.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
S2_Mac said:
Well, I'll break ranks;
Traitor! :D

Apple's engineering has always been first rate, affecting far more than the finished product. F'r'instance, the first Macs broke new ground in plastic injection molding...
Okay okay, just don't forget Newton, the forever overheated Mac Cube, Apple III, Lisa.

One thing I don't love Apple for... those overly cutsy names they use for everything...accckkk. Totally unmanly. :)

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
The Newton was way ahead of it's time despite it's problems. It was killed for political reasons more than anything else and the last iteration was a darn good machine by all accounts. It got more bad publicity that it ever really deserved. The Mac Cube may have sold poorly but has a surprisingly large following these days, overheating was only an issue with the first models. The Lisa was also ahead of it's time and WAY overpriced, again for Political reasons. At $10K a pop, it was just stupid. The Apple III was a total flop.

Last edited:

mjmoonwalker

Website
eminemjamesuk.com
S2_Mac said:
Thank God I wasn't born back then...:p

Eric Lewis

Apple Lover
well apples are so good, and with the crunchy and the juicy! they come in so many types like green, orange, and red...my favouirte is red delicious!

i just like everything they make from ipods to macs! it just all works!~

S2_Mac

Well, maybe...but it sure was a trip to see things like "the British invasion," the re-birth of blues, the very first satellite, moon landing, Czech rebellion, USA civil rights, the very first laser, ... and Frank Zappa's career ;-)

S2