Fm/ AM radio on ipod?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kylem4711

Hello, i am either going to get an ipod video or a zune. but i wanted to see if it was possible to get FM radio and more importantly AM radio on an ipod. Podcasts are a big reason i might get an ipod, but i just wanted to see about the radio situation. thanks everyone. hope to get some replies.

kornchild2002

Seriously, does the iPod need AM/FM playback. You can purchase a portable AM/FM radio for $20 these days. The main point behind the iPod is that you can carry around your digital music files. Some would like to have the ability to access FM radio but I really don't see a need especially since satellite radio is making such a huge impact and HD radio is coming soon for cheaper costs. I understand that some people want to get that AM feel from their music but I think it is time to move on.

kylem4711

ha thats funny, and yes it does need am. i would like to have everything in one device. and i listen to sports talk? whats wrong with that?

miniMAMF

Nothing's wrong with that, per se, but frankly, AM is not where it's at, and many people do not demand it. I'm sure there are about a zillion sports-related podcasts out there that sound better than AM, and you can listen to them at your leisure and it won't cut out when you go under a bridge - so what's wrong with that?

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
kylem4711 said:
whats wrong with that?
Kids laughing at u being an old foggie :D.

Seriously, Apple will NEVER make one. So get something else... but I find there are always OTHER options... the car, webcast through PC at work.... webcast through cellphone if you have an unlimited data plan... Some cellphones have radio right?

Dragoro

bobb-mini said:
Kids laughing at u being an old foggie :D.

Seriously, Apple will NEVER make one. So get something else... but I find there are always OTHER options... the car, webcast through PC at work.... webcast through cellphone if you have an unlimited data plan... Some cellphones have radio right?

Theres no reason to celebrate that. If apple included radio (am/fm) in thier ipods, theyd have a huge increase in sales.

toothpaste

Dragoro said:
Theres no reason to celebrate that. If apple included radio (am/fm) in thier ipods, theyd have a huge increase in sales.
That's speculation at best. I bought my ipod to get away from the poor programming on the radio. The commercials, the repeating songs, the annoying radio personalities. Damn, I want to listen to what I want to listen to not what some programming director thinks I want to hear.

AM/FM radio is living on borrowed time.

bwh79

toothpaste said:
I bought my ipod to get away from the poor programming on the radio. The commercials, the repeating songs, the annoying radio personalities. Damn, I want to listen to what I want to listen to not what some programming director thinks I want to hear.

AM/FM radio is living on borrowed time.
I haven't actively listened to the radio since Z Rock went off the air in my area about twelve years ago. Since then I've been thoroughly unimpressed with any of the local stations around here.

Now, thanks to scads of storage space afforded by the iPod, combined with a decade and more of CD purchases (and Code Monkey's smartlists), I'm able to create a personalized mix that sounds very much like what I used to hear on the radio, back when I used to like what I heard on the radio.

Talk radio, I suppose, is a different animal entirely, but as was stated previously there are numerous podcasts available covering all sorts of subjects.

If you really, really, need to listen to live broadcasts, then there are units like this one [Edit: Damn, that thing might be bigger than my nano!] that sell for less than $15. The iPod does not, and likely never will, have an integrated radio receiver. Complaining about that is like (imagine it's ten years ago) buying a 5-disc CD changer and complaining that it doesn't play LPs or cassette tapes. You want a tape deck? Don't buy a CD changer. You want a radio? You see where this is going.

The last music player I ever owned which had an integrated radio was my Sony Walkman, back when they still played cassette tapes (the CD players were called "Discman" [discmans? discmen?] at the time). Even most walkman-style CD players these days don't have radio receivers. Granted, there are a few that do, but most of them (that I've seen) do not.

Sorry if that was off-topic. I started a reply and began to rant. Apologies all around. I guess my point was to agree with toothpaste that radio is swiftly becoming a thing of the past.

Last edited:

kornchild2002

Dragoro said:

Yeah sure, because people buy iPods to listen to the radio. I hate to criticize this statement* but I just have to. The majority of portable audio players contained some type of FM receivers when the iPods were released. Apple never adapted to the majority of the market and they never will. They somewhat heeded to customers by adding an external adapter but I just don't see Apple adding FM receivers to their iPods. If they add any receivers, it will be blue tooth and/or wi-fi. Anyway, take a look at the market now. Many portable players are not including FM anymore as the success of the iPod shows that it is not needed.

On top of that, I don't know how Apple could increase iPod sales anymore than they already have. They already have over 70% of the market. I doubt that adding FM would increase sales more than 0.5-1% (which easily fits in the +-5% error of these numbers).

*Note - I am criticizing the statement, not the person.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Dragoro said:
No offense, but everybody think they are smarter than the guys who made iPod.

paranoidxe

Really the only reason I'd use AM/FM Reciever would be for morning shows..other than that you'd have the same 5 songs playing in a cycle over and over again.

Swear they can't stop playing "Cupid's Chokehold" by Gym Class Heroes.