• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Bitrate Combinations -- Post Successful Ones Here

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Gouki10

ok it seems that this thread is kinda dead, but hopefully someone can help me out.

im using VideoRA now, and one of my videos got out of sync

the current format is .avs

the duration is 00:03:21

Dimensions: 720x480

Bit rate:1515kbps

what should i do so that when i convert it so that the sound doesn't go out of sync?

if answer has been posted to this, then tell me to just go back through the thread rather than waste your time typing it out for a noob like me.

MuleDoe

iv never had a problem with audio sync with any of the settings and i been messing around with all fo these settings they all seem to work just fine for me and all .. my question is that if i want to play it on a tv and my setting was on 320x250 or whatever will it look fine or do i have to convert it to 620xXXX and make it look normal size on the tv?

AHHHHHHH

Money Begger
Tip: If your video/audio is out of sync, try typing "-async 1" into the custom FFMPEG section on the setup screen. (Bodacious)

That really worked! Thanks. :)

WyattEarp

The info here was great. I had no problems converting 3 Star Wars movies so far. My only question is how do I get the subtitles to show if it's possible.

Last edited:

kornchild2002

You need to enable subtitles with the software that you use to encode your movies. As long as you rip the subtitles (using your desired software), you can encode a mpeg-4 video with the subtitles.

WyattEarp

I use DVD Decrypter and other than "checking off" the subtitles in the Stream Processing box how do you enable the subtitles.

kornchild2002

As you have already done, you need to rip your DVD with its subtitles. Then you need to enable subtitles in whatever software you are using to convert that DVD to a iPod mpeg-4 video. I am not sure what software you are using (Videora, Nero Recode 2, etc.) so I can't really help you on that. You can also check the help option on your software to see if it supports subtitle encoding and how to enable it.

WyattEarp

I've been using Videora to convert my DVDs to the iPod. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Rearviewmirror

I need a bit of help with volume. In videora, when you go into 'profiles' and then down into the box that says 'audio settings', what percentage should I have the volume at? It's recommened in the step by step guide as 100% but that's really low when listening to music videos on the ipod. Is it al right to go all the way up to 500% or would this damage the ipod in some way?

woodzy08

Instant complete no Video

i have successfully completed the conversion of two dvds and have taken single episodes from a dvd also. So i noe the basics but recently i riped pirates of the caribbean: dead mans chest off a dvd and went to transcode it and it didn't work!! i tried seting the profile up to various settings to adjust for the widescreen but that didnt work.

When i click transcode it just completes instantly and then when i go to the file where it should be its 0bytes and wont play so where did i make my mistake in the dvd decyrpting or transcoding?

also im fairly sure i got the right file because it can play on my computer as a MPEG file thats is 6392098KB

Last edited:

FLaTLinE

BLaCKSHeeP
woodzy08 said:
i have successfully completed the conversion of two dvds and have taken single episodes from a dvd also. So i noe the basics but recently i riped pirates of the caribbean: dead mans chest off a dvd and went to transcode it and it didn't work!! i tried seting the profile up to various settings to adjust for the widescreen but that didnt work.

When i click transcode it just completes instantly and then when i go to the file where it should be its 0bytes and wont play so where did i make my mistake in the dvd decyrpting or transcoding?

also im fairly sure i got the right file because it can play on my computer as a MPEG file thats is 6392098KB

is it a vob files?

woodzy08

vob files

On my comp now it is a MPEG just like the 3 other videos that worrkd just fine i dont know what the problem is with this one, its a 2:30 movie which is longer than the others but that shoulndt matter

Last edited:

radicalgel

yellowbuddy said:
As you know, many of us have the problem of audio and video out being out of sync after using Videora and DVD Decrypter. Many people have given suggestions to decrease the audio and video bitrate, hoping this would solve the problem. However, this has been described as a "hit and miss" process, which many of us do not have time for as it takes me 3-4 hours to convert a 1.5 hour movie.

That is why I have created this thread.

Those who use Videora and DVD Decrypter and are successful with them, PLEASE POST YOUR SUCCESSFUL AUDIO/VIDEO BITRATE COMBINATIONS HERE for the good of the forum! It will save a lot of threads and a lot of frustrated people.

Thank you!

EDIT: Here is the definitive post by Bodacious. Thanks for all the time you spent pulling this together.

Tip: If your video/audio is out of sync, try typing "-async 1" into the custom FFMPEG section on the setup screen. (Bodacious)

Even though we have a pretty comprehensive list, if you have any questions or more combinations, please feel free to post them here.

-----
16:9 video (iPod use): Best used for content which is described as Widescreen, 16:9, Anamorphic Widescreen, 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen, Letterbox Widescreen
320x180 (iPod size)
MPEG-4 > FQ-VBR
One Pass
Q Scale=3
Framerate=29.97fps
Audio bitrate=160kbps
Stereo
Sample rate=input

16:9 video (iPod use, higher quality): Best used for content which is described as Widescreen, 16:9, Anamorphic Widescreen, 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen, Letterbox Widescreen
320x180 (iPod size)
MPEG-4 > A-VBR
Two Pass
Bitrate=900kbps
Min=128
Max=2500
Framerate=29.97
Audio bitrate=160kbps
Stereo
Sample rate=input

16:9 video (Television output): Best used for content which is described as Widescreen, 16:9, Anamorphic Widescreen, 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen, Letterbox Widescreen
640x360 (Television size)
MPEG-4 > FQ-VBR
One Pass
Q Scale=3
Framerate=29.97fps
Audio bitrate=160kbps
Stereo
Sample rate=input

16:9 video (Television output, higher quality): Best used for content which is described as Widescreen, 16:9, Anamorphic Widescreen, 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen, Letterbox Widescreen
640x360 (Television size)
MPEG-4 > A-VBR
Two Pass
Bitrate=2200kbps
Min=128
Max=2500
Framerate=29.97
Audio bitrate=160kbps
Stereo
Sample rate=input

4:3 video (iPod use): Best used for content which is described as 4:3, Standard Ratio, Non Widescreen, General non HDTV television
320x240 (iPod size)
MPEG-4 > FQ-VBR
One Pass
Q Scale=3
Framerate=29.97fps
Audio bitrate=160kbps
Stereo
Sample rate=input

4:3 video (iPod use, higher quality): Best used for content which is described as 4:3, Standard Ratio, Non Widescreen, General non HDTV television
320x240 (iPod size)
MPEG-4 > A-VBR
Two Pass
Bitrate=900kbps
Min=128
Max=2500
Framerate=29.97
Audio bitrate=160kbps
Stereo
Sample rate=input

4:3 video (Television output): Best used for content which is described as 4:3, Standard Ratio, Non Widescreen, General non HDTV television
552x414 (Television size)
MPEG-4 > FQ-VBR
One Pass
Q Scale=3
Framerate=29.97fps
Audio bitrate=160kbps
Stereo
Sample rate=input

4:3 video (Television output, higher quality): Best used for content which is described as 4:3, Standard Ratio, Non Widescreen, General non HDTV television
552x414 (Television size)
MPEG-4 > A-VBR
Two Pass
Bitrate=2200kbps
Min=128
Max=2500
Framerate=29.97
Audio bitrate=160kbps
Stereo
Sample rate=input

2.35:1 video (Television output): Best used for 2.35:1 content described as 2.35:1, Super Widescreen, Letterbox widescreen. Only advise using this for television output purposes and for the maximum real pixel output.
CROP VIDEO INPUT 66 TOP AND BOTTOM (Done in same menu screen as the other options for encoding)
720x306 (Television size)
MPEG-4 > FQ-VBR
One Pass
Q Scale=3
Framerate=29.97fps
Audio bitrate=160kbps
Stereo
Sample rate=input

2.35:1 video (Television output, higher quality): Best used for 2.35:1 content described as 2.35:1, Super Widescreen, Letterbox widescreen. Only advise using this for television output purposes and for the maximum real pixel output.
CROP VIDEO INPUT 66 TOP AND BOTTOM (Done in same menu screen as the other options for encoding)
720x306 (Television size)
MPEG-4 > A-VBR
Two Pass
Bitrate=2200kbps
Min=128
Max=2500
Framerate=29.97
Audio bitrate=160kbps
Stereo
Sample rate=input

I must note that when I choose 2200kbps as the average bitrate for A-VBR i was basing this on a FQ-VBR (Quality 3) encoding of the chapter in Star Wars Episode I in which Obi Wan and Darth Maul fight and the Chapter in Star Wars Episode III just after the title scroll during the space battle and lightsaber fight against the droids in the hanger bay. Both scenes I'm sure require more detail than most and so basing my average bitrate for A-VBR on these tests would likely mean that 2200kbps would be higher than necessary for a entire film which wouldn't be full of action scenes and fast motion. A bitrate of 2000kbs for the average bitrate in A-VBR would most likely be more than acceptable
----
this has nothing to do with bitrates. just manually type in the framerate as 30 fps instead of 29.97. your audio and video will sync perfectly

bodacious

Rearviewmirror said:
I need a bit of help with volume. In videora, when you go into 'profiles' and then down into the box that says 'audio settings', what percentage should I have the volume at? It's recommened in the step by step guide as 100% but that's really low when listening to music videos on the ipod. Is it al right to go all the way up to 500% or would this damage the ipod in some way?
No harm would be done at all to the ipod itself.

Yes, you will find some videos will have differing volumes to one another. You can edit the volume in two ways. Either encode the files all the same and then in iTunes right click on the video(s) in question and in their properties alter the volume there. Or, as you noted, alter it in videora.

The problem starts when you shove up the volume too much, you might end up making the signal louder than the pre-amp of the ipod (and likely anything else it's being played on) can handle, and so you will end up with a clipped signal which will be distorted no matter what volume you set the iPod or computer to play back at. So all in all take care when adjusting the volume

bodacious

As a general note there have been many newer versions of Videora since 0.91 or whatever it was. I think the latest is 2.09. Go to the videora homepage and download the latest iPod converter. For people who just want to set up conversions easily there is a new system for that. For people who want to modify the settings then there are also ways to edit like previously. It is layed out in a different way but all the tools you need are still there, and if you start by editing one of the "advanced" profiles to make a custom one then, whilst encoding time will be slower, the quality will be even higher.

laurenglenn

For anamorphic video in videora, I set:

top crop = 54
bottom crop = 56
add " -aspect 16:9"
MPEG4 video
Audio = 160
Volume = 200%
Bitrate = 1024
Size = 320x240

These settings are for making 4:3 video into 16x9 anamorphic (basically, removing the letterboxing and just cropping it)

If you have a DVD file that's already in 16x9, remove the crops.

(aspect 16:9 forces the video to be a 16x9 video in the 4x3 size -- it will play the video in a "squashed" format). If you use H264 instead, you have to use "-aspect 4:3" so that the resulting file plays back in a 4:3 ratio.

Last edited: