Gapless Playback - What Does it Really Mean in Practicality

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Totally Wired

Website
www.counterglow.com
Hi,

I know iTunes now has gapless playback but I am not sure how to use it.

let us assume that I already have an album in itunes which is gapless and not marked as such - let us say Pink Floyd's"Dark Side of the Moon". If I was to tick the right box for all the tracks would this immediately make this gapless would this be sufficient or do I have to re-rip the CD again?

Does this mean that, if I use the shuffle function, I lose access to the individual tracks?

Many thanks for all advice

good2112

iTunes and a gaplesss supported iPod need no intervention from the user to use the gapless feature. "Ticking the right box" as you suggested only disables the crossfader in iTunes if it's enabled. Please see the attached link, it completely details everything you need to know about gapless playback. I hope that helps.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304362

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
When music is imported, or the first time you use iTunes 7, it goes through and determines gapless playback for all of your music. Gapless playback is native in iTunes as long as the crossfader isn't on. If you use the crossfader, you need to mark all tracks in the album as "part of gapless" so iTunes knows to ignore the crossfader for those particular songs. The songs will still play in shuffle too as long as you don't have the marked to "Skip while shuffling"

As long as the original rip/import was good, there will be no reason to reimport the songs.