Help! Dropped iPod in water!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

3Princesses

Is my iPod ruined or what? It totally was submersed in water. I dried it out with a hairdryer (as best I could, anyway) and now it is off and won't come back on! So, did I just toss $200 down the proverbial toilet (or sink, in this case???):shake:

Thanks,

Kathy

mjmoonwalker

Website
eminemjamesuk.com
Hi and welcome to iLougne!

I assume you just tried turning it on? Never turn it on immediately after it's submerged! Let it out to dry for a few more days. If luck is on your side, it'll work when it's completely dried. Otherwise, you short circuited it by attempting to turn it on.

3Princesses

You know, I was in such a panic I can't remember if I turned it on or not. The "firewall...plug in USB...something or another" message came on and wouldn't go off. I asked my husband about it. I tried to reset it but the firewall message stayed on. It finally went off and wouldn't come back on again. Then I found this website.

I wound up putting it on a boot dryer to dry out. The boot dryer is the warmest place I have that has gentle heat with a small amount of airflow. How long should I let it sit there before I try to do anything with it? 3-5 days? (That seems to be the general consensus from other posts that I found regarding water/moisture).

Thanks again...I'll let you know what happens!:D

Jokieman

Sound Guy
3Princesses said:
You know, I was in such a panic I can't remember if I turned it on or not. The "firewall...plug in USB...something or another" message came on and wouldn't go off. I asked my husband about it. I tried to reset it but the firewall message stayed on. It finally went off and wouldn't come back on again. Then I found this website.

I wound up putting it on a boot dryer to dry out. The boot dryer is the warmest place I have that has gentle heat with a small amount of airflow. How long should I let it sit there before I try to do anything with it? 3-5 days? (That seems to be the general consensus from other posts that I found regarding water/moisture).

Thanks again...I'll let you know what happens!:D

3 to 5 days should work. I had a cordless phone that I dropped in the bathtub on accident. Took about 5 days to get it working reliably again.

Though I should point out that most people who have had the firewire message come up had to have their iPods exchanged. It's usually a sign of a dead iPod, but your case might just be a little different.

I might also recommend, if you dare, that you open up the case and let it dry that way.

star6

Me too! HELP!

I also had my ipod nano submerged in water (accidentally). It went through the washing machine!! At first it wouldn't do anything. Now, I've connected it to the usb plug in the computer and when I do that, itunes recognizes it and it charges....BUT, when I disconnect it (even after leaving it connected for a while) the screen goes blank!
Anyone have any ideas for what I should do?
Thanks so much!
:eek:

x9banshee6x

my ipod is my sanity

i dropped my ipod nano 4G in a cup of water by accident. although it was only in there for a nano-second (no pun intended) it still seems to have done enough damage. i did the whole bit of letting it sit in a bowl of rice, adding some rubbing alcohol to help expell any liquid, and also using a hairdryer. it was working fine, no problems, and i was ecstatic that it still worked. then the inevitable happened and the battery ran down. so, i plugged it in to let it charge. that's where everything went wrong. now i can't get it to turn on at all, what with having the battery completely dead and it not wanting to charge.
here's the kicker, though: i can have it plugged into the computer, put my headphones in, and listen to it just fine. everything works normal - as long as it's plugged in. but the minute i unplug it, the screen goes black. so it's definitely a battery problem.
the trick is, now that i've diagnosed the problem, how do i fix it? when i plug it in, after it connects ans synchs and everything else, it rolls over to the battery icon and reads "charged" when in reality, it's not. :shake:

any suggestions?

cjmnews

Staff member
Don't revive 4 year old threads. Replace the battery (a hard task for an amateur, but there are shops that will do it for you) or get a new iPod.

Replacing the battery is only a guess. It may not fix the problem if the charging system is what was really ruined.

Usually iPod replacement is the best option.

ninaad.sadaphal

Flashes Over the Screen

I assume you just tried turning it on? Never turn it on immediately after it's submerged! Let it out to dry for a few more days. If luck is on your side, it'll work when it's completely dried. Otherwise, you short circuited it by attempting to turn it on.[/QUOTE]

Hi!!

I just dropped my iPod into the swimming pool. I tried a heater to make it dry. It worked fine then but when charging it from the comp the screen used to get flashy. I charged the iPod 2 hrs after dropping it

cjmnews

Staff member
You tried using it too soon. It is probably fried now.

You might get lucky if you stop using it. Put it in a bowl of uncooked rice for a week and then try using it again.

I doubt it will work.

kornchild2002

You should still put it in an airtight container with dried, uncooked rice for at least a week to make sure any access moisture has been removed. Otherwise your iPod may stop working again. It might not be now but it could be sometime in the near future.