Tracks not organized under "Audiobooks" section

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

orev

I have created some audio books from CDs and converted them to AAC/m4b to make them bookmarkable. I prefer to keep each chapter as it's own track, and have them organized in iTunes this way, each with Artist, Album Title, and Track Name assigned

When I sync them to my ipod (4g), they show up under the "Audibooks" section, but are completely unorganized. All of the tracks from each book are jumbled together. I expect to see them listed like any other music, in categories like "Artist / Album Name", etc...

Does anyone know what's going on there? How do I get them to be organized on the ipod?

Thanks.

cjmnews

Staff member
I find that setting the disc number helps a lot in this. Or having the chapter number in the title.

CJNeverWinter

I Hunt Sock Monsters!
Website
www.moviereviewz.us
I recommend using smart playlists for audiobooks. both listening and arranging them. my standard smart playlist for audiobooks:

File -> New Smart Playlist

Album = Audiobook name

Playcount is 0

that way when one part of the audiobook is played that part will automatically drop off the playlists. then you wont have to remember where in the audiobook you were when you stopped listening. also cjmnews has a good point, use disc numbers, then you can arrange your playlist by disc numbers.

orev

CJNeverWinter said:
I recommend using smart playlists for audiobooks. both listening and arranging them. my standard smart playlist for audiobooks:

File -> New Smart Playlist

Album = Audiobook name

Playcount is 0

that way when one part of the audiobook is played that part will automatically drop off the playlists. then you wont have to remember where in the audiobook you were when you stopped listening. also cjmnews has a good point, use disc numbers, then you can arrange your playlist by disc numbers.
Hey, that's a great idea. I still wish they would organize properly under Audiobooks. Will I still be able to "speed up" the playing speed if I use this method?

robert

Retired
orev said:
Hey, that's a great idea. I still wish they would organize properly under Audiobooks. Will I still be able to "speed up" the playing speed if I use this method?
Any AAC/m4b, audible.com, or iTunes audio book will pay at faster speed in Audiobooks (where iTunes and iPod assign them all), Playlists, or Smart Playlists. Dunno about podcasts.

Robert

Last edited:

robert

Retired
p.s. I have dragged and dropped files into order within iPod playlists with iTunes - with iPod attached to computer - after they loaded onto iPod in the wrong order. I haven't tried this with the new Audiobooks folder on iPod.

orev

My main issue is that audiobooks appear to not be organizable at all. Do all audiobooks always come as just 1 large file with the whole book? Somehow I doubt that. Seems to be a pretty big oversight.
I can always go through the "Music/Genres/" menu to get to them, and that seems to sort correctly.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Orev, does there seem to be any order to them at all? Alphabet, etc?

Make sure you have track and disc tags in these files.

What column do you have sorted in the audiobook menu of the iPod?

robert

Retired
orev said:
My main issue is that audiobooks appear to not be organizable at all. Do all audiobooks always come as just 1 large file with the whole book? Somehow I doubt that. Seems to be a pretty big oversight.
I can always go through the "Music/Genres/" menu to get to them, and that seems to sort correctly.
Orev,

More info is needed to help you. How are you creating the audio books? Are you using join tracks for each CD? Tell us briefly how and what you are converting and how you are naming. If you use join tracks, you are combining the tracks and losing their identity in the process. They will be sequential, but the individual track identification is lost. If you want each track preserved as a file, you will have to Covert the CD files individually without joining tracks and identify each track with a unique name and with some manner of organizing or association with the CD disc number. This can be done for the entire CD by not joining tracks, highlighting all the tracks, and R click, Convert to AAC. You will most likely wind up with m4a music files that are identified only as Track 01, Track 02, etc. You will have to Key in the song name of each as you go along.

Then you will probably want to create a smart playlist to contain these many files for your audio book.

When you say all jumbled up, do you mean in random order or merged into sequential orger into one file?

It is a personal preference, but I can't imagine going to all the trouble to create and keep up, and organize so many files. Audible.com comes with built in divisions which you can progress thru with >. Interesting that there are those who insist on one file per book -- just the opposite of your preference -- and that runs up against the max approx 5 hour homemade file length. BTW, I am 3:47 into listening to The Road, a 6:39 homemade audio, and have only had one incident, which may have been an inadvertent bump of >. It skipped out of the book and increased play count 1.

Last edited:

robert

Retired
The organization of audio books varies. Audible.com books come in 5-8 hour parts. Say, up to 6 parts for a large book. MarkAble default setting creates audiobooks from cds at the rate of one file per four cds. iTunes, for the most part, uses audible.com as its source and at a higher price. Audible parts have sections that can be navigated with the > on the click wheel. NetLibrary books are one file per audiobook and OverDrive is one file per CD-length.

Audio CDs vary -- some tracks are chapters; others segments.

R