make cd from iPod playlist?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

The_Duck

Most of my playlists are on my iPod and not on my computer/library.
I tried to make an audio CD from my iPod playlist and there is no option for this.

Any reason why iTunes does not allow this?

I should be within my rights to make an audio cd from my own iPod without transferring
all the stupid files onto my computer and recreating a playlist.

Any other options out there for me?

thanks for your time.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
This is likely because Apple wanted to make it as difficult as possible for people to use their iPods (in manual mode) to "borrow" music from others and then burn a CD from those songs right off their iPod. I'm sure that this is a legal hurdle that was set up to satisfy RIAA as well as the business partners (i.e. record companies) that Apple has with iTunes.

Is there a way around this hurdle? Sure there is ... but Apple doesn't want to know about it. You can use 3rd party software to transfer the songs from your iPod to iTunes and export the playlist definition to iTunes. There might be other applications that let you burn a CD directly from your iPod, but I don't know of any.

Last edited:

The_Duck

rockmyplimsoul said:
This is likely because Apple wanted to make it as difficult as possible for people to use their iPods (in manual mode) to "borrow" music from others and then burn a CD from those songs right off their iPod.
You can use 3rd party software to transfer the songs from your iPod to iTunes and export the playlist definition to iTunes.
Thanks for your reply.
I HAVE the songs on my computer.

My problem is that I make my playlists on-the-go (as i listen to my ipod) and then rename those playlists to something appropriate. I don't have time to just sit in iTunes and make playlists all day.

So, now my iPod has this great playlist. I can't even transfer the stupid PLAYLIST to my computer iTunes Library!

It's frickin stupid. If you could at least transfer the playlist it wouldn't be THAT big a deal, but I just don't want to spend the extra frickin time to manually create the same frickin
playlist I have already created with my own music on my iPod that I have on my computer.

Sorry for venting, I just think I should be able to drag a playlist onto my computer or somehow easily copy a playlist onto my library OR SOMETHING since personally I only
use iTunes to either transfer music to the iPod or to burn playlist CDs.

cjmnews

Staff member
If you auto sync, the on-the-go playlist will be automatically copied to iTunes. Rename it in iTunes (if needed, set it to be a selected playlist) sync again and you're set.

You may be able to do something similar with manual sync by opening the playlist you created on your iPod so you can see all the song files. Select all the songs (click on one, then type ctrl-a) then click on File->New Playlist from selection. That should create a playlist in iTunes that matches the one you had in your iPod. Burn that one.